Monday, March 29, 2010

Save the American Cowboy

The heritage of the Great American West is slipping out from underneath us. Someone is tugging on the rug and trying to make America's public lands become government lands. I am dedicating a few minutes of my time, each day, to the research of this subject.

I am a mother, rancher's wife, ranch manager, ranch owner, cowgirl in training and taxi cab driver. I am also a veteran, who proudly volunteered to serve for this great country.

I have sometimes been referred to as a 'greenie' by my family. I believe in preserving mother nature, using our lands, but not abusing them. I feel a strong urge to pull two groups of people together; cattle ranchers and endangered species activist. Let us sit down together, as grown adults and devise a pros and cons list using only factual information. Once this list has been compiled, lets agree together on a strategy for saving our lands, animals and cowboys. We should make these decisions together, as citizens of a proud free country. Remember the dreams of our founding fathers and preserve our heritage.

The American Cowboy should be placed on the endangered species list and cattle need to be listed with them. Please share with me any experiences you might have regarding the cattle industry, ranching, farming, raising livestock, the endangered species list, the Bureau of Land Management and the Forest Service. I invite your input here or at www.savetheamericancowboy.blogspot.com. Please feel free to follow this blog as I journey through the world of research and politics.

4 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. Married to a ranch'n cowboy that cherishes and follows the true cowboy code I see it fading in our society. So glad to see some one else clinging to the heritage of real cowboys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sad that our way of life is slipping away. I come from several generations of cowboys, it's all I have ever known. I married a cowboy, and we're still working on a ranch today. It saddens me to think that by the time our son is grown there may be nothing left. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girls, I know exactly how you feel. My son wants nothing more than to ranch when he grows up and I often wonder...Will ranching still exist? It's funny, many people don't want to eat feed lot cattle...But they don't want us using the land. Like my friend from California said, "They think beef comes from the grocery store!" Lol! Jennifer - Please send me an invite to your blog. My email is gilleyweed@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People don't realize what we do for America. It is WAY sad. I just want my children to understand and grow up loving this lifestyle. I hope that they will get the chance to do the same as we are right now. We are finally getting a bigger grab at ranching, and hope that we can keep at it. It's all we want and know. We come from generations and generations of ranchers, and cowboys. We need to take a stand! Thanks for doing this, Lisa, I'll do what I can to help you out!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment!